Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Local teen helps set up for Obama's speech

David McKee, 15, of Waxhaw, is spending this week at the Democratic national Convention in Denver with the Junior Statesmen of America. Here's his dispatch on what it's been like:


On Tuesday afternoon I attended the Democratic Youth Council. They talked to us about the importance of the youth vote. I am so excited to hear that one of the youngest democrats serving in the nation is North Carolina State government representative Tricia Ann Cotham and she is representing Charlotte!! I am so impressed with this fact that I had to call both my parents on the spot to tell them. I don't think they realized that Charlotte is making history (and in fact, neither of them knew about this).



I am thinking a lot about Jim Leach, the republican that endorsed Obama on Monday night at the convention. His speech showed me that real unity CAN be achieved between the Democrats and the Republicans. He is a guy that wants what's best for the regular guy, not just what's best for the big companies.



Hillary's speech. Wow. It was good and powerful and well formulated. But I don't think that she got through to the hard-core Hillary supporters. I liked her speech and thought it was very good. Maybe she should have said "I know you want to vote for McCain so that I can run again in four years, but you need to vote Barack Obama."



The other teens at the convention are really nice. Everybody is as into politics as I am. It makes me feel very happy I guess. We missed the delegates' breakfast today because some people didn't get ready on time. I am really disappointed. I really wanted to go and talk to the delegates. But at our Junior Statesmen speakers forum today, we have had several interesting speakers. Earlier, there was a rumor that Oprah is going to come and talk to us. But sadly that turned out to be just a rumor.

Junior State has lined up so many great speakers for our group. I am learning so much from these speakers. I really enjoy this part. First up was a speaker that discussed the use of race in past political campaigns. Historically race has been used in the past to stir people's emotions to try and influence how they vote. The speaker felt that very little of that had happened in this campaign which is progress.

Next was Dr. LaTosha Bruce, an expert on rhetoric and body language. She gave us several fascinating tips on how body language communicates more than words do. She said that people use their hands to point to their most valuable assets. So when Obama points at the crowd, he is saying that the people listening are the most important thing to him.

We had Mr. Peter Fenn, president of Fenn communications' group come and talk to us about campaign advertising. He disscussed how there are two types of negative campaigning direct attack and comparison attack. It's wierd to think that there are people who actually sit around and plan negative campaign attack ads.


I am concerned about Bill Clinton speaking tonight I worry that he may give more amunition to the Republicans to use against Barack Obama. I am not sure why he is speaking at the convention. I guess because he was the last Democratic president.
Tomorrow, the Junior Statesmen teens are volunteering at Invesco field for the Obama's acceptance speach event. We have to be there at 9 am to get through the Secret Service security and to help set up for the event. I am not sure what we will be doing, but I am really excited to be part of this.

1 comments:

TheTypicalGuy said...

Hi! I was reading through your blog and since one of your subjects dealt with politics and the power of the youth vote, you might be interested to view or maybe even post this video on your blog.

As it is, more and more of America's youths are becoming apathetic to the whole election process so hopefully, a video like this might rile them up and tell them to make a stand for their own future. After all, to paraphrase the saying, the future is what they make of it.

You can check out the video on this site: http://www.mobilizethevote2008.com/ as well as on YouTube through this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4kg514DcTA

Peace!


Patrick