Friday, June 26, 2009

Gov. Perdue robo-calls to get votes for her budget plan

You thought you were through with those annoying robo-calls you're deluged with during election time? Well, filing hasn't even started for this year's election cycle, and one politician is already dialing folks up - and it's not even about winning a seat in November.

No, the pol calling is Gov. Bev Perdue, and she wants a win for her budget plan in the current session of the N.C. legislature. Many residents got her call this week, and some were not too happy. Here's part of what one Observer reader said:

"Normally, I would hang up immediately, but she mentioned education, so I listened. I'm glad I did, and I need to publicly disagree. She said that she was asking for support in raising taxes, which is a normal thing for a politician to do. The thing that grabbed my attention was her comment that she was asking for money along with teachers and PTA.
I am a public school teacher, and I have not attended any teacher's meeting where we voted to ask the public to raise taxes. I have heard of no PTA meetings where they voted on it, either. I cannot and would not claim to represent other teachers, but as for myself, I do not support raising taxes when so many people can't make ends meet as it is. I feel lucky that I have a job, and do not want to get laid off, but I don't think raising taxes is the answer. I think the money can be found in the salaries of upper administration, in out-of-state trainings that are useful but unneccessary, and in construction projects that are not necessary.
I think it was unethical of our governor to say that all teachers and PTA members want the general public to put out money that, frankly, very few of us have. It is a misrepresentation and it was sneaky. She didn't get on national tv, but sent out a phone call that millions of people will quietly listen to. This is the second time she has used education as a way to make money. She just took a chunk of every teacher's paycheck through an executive order, with no public or congressional vote."

In the robo-call, Perdue doesn't actually call for a tax increase (some of us on the editorial board got a call too). She says that like most states, North Carolina faces a severe budget crisis due to the "global" economic situation. She acknowledges the state must cut expenses but says "we can't undermine" schools and education "even if it means raising taxes".

She then asks for citizens to join her "and teachers and the PTA" in urging their legislators to "raise the revenue needed to protect our schools."

1 comments:

rayzoar said...

I received Perdue's robocall and would like to know HOW IT WAS PAID FOR, which it didn't say.